Is it my fault?

It’s one of those days. Behaviour of quite a few children causes concern, well more than a few really. So a quick children causing concern meeting is held. The list is drawn of the absconders, the disrupters, the major players and over 60% are on the SEN register.

Should I be surprised? Probably not, there is more than enough research that shows that  children excluded from school are more likely than not to have SEN. This knowledge is no consolation. I feel responsible for the progress of these children.

I am supposed to be able to put LSAs in place to help. I obviously can’t do too much about LSA sickness or about the time out that they have to take for family funerals. I also can’t do much about the children’s family situations, the domestic violence, the poor housing, the breakdown of families, illnesses, the lack of employment but I do still feel responsible.

In a reflective manner I have to look – what have I put in place for these children, would me having written a social story have made a difference to one child? Would not changing the Nurture Group intervention have been better for some of the others? I have been doing this job for a year now. It feels much longer, I feel I should have answers. I don’t.

Is it my fault? Not entirely but I can’t help but feel that in small way I may be a contributing factor, it’s not a good feeling. I can’t change what has happened, all of the decisions I’ve made I’ve had reasons for, perhaps my reasoning is flawed but I can’t magic experience out of a hat.

Tomorrow is another day. More ideas, a fresh start for the children, a fresh start for the staff, another day to try and make a difference. I think some of these children have problems we don’t know about and can’t solve but we can offer stability and a fresh start every day.

Advertisements
Is it my fault?

2 thoughts on “Is it my fault?

  1. Helen says:

    Part of being a good teacher is feeling responsible for the things that don’t go quite right, especially when you know the children involved already have more than enough in their lives to deal with. But you also have to remember all those children you have made a difference to. The child who can now read because of the help you gave, the child who learned to count because of you, the child who now has a voice because you nurtured their confidence, the child you let talk to you when the hamster died and no one else would listen. The list goes on, question what you do but also remember to take the time to reflect on what you’ve got right.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Helen W says:

    These children are in your care for just 6 hours per day on 5 days of the week and only 36 weeks of the year. I make that about 12% of their year, during which you can’t possibly hope to negate the effect of the remaining 88%. (You know me, rely on logic!) What you can hope for is to provide those things you are already doing: a stable, loving, safe and secure environment; an insight into the benefits of good behaviour; a rich learning opportunity for things not necessarily on the curriculum. You make the very best decisions you can with the information you have available at the time. Bring back ‘confidence’!!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s